By Tim Condon
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:22 PM,
In a conference call announcing his candidacy, [Charlie Bass] played to the conservative wing of his party – the Tea Party group. “I love them,” Bass said of the Tea Partiers. “God bless every single one of them. Their agenda is exactly the same as mine. They want a new environment in Washington, leaders who make a difference, and are as terrified as I am of the spending that's going on.”
Charlie Bass - data points to consider
As I posted here, we met at a political event and the exchange was cordial. I do know that as a fiscal conservative, social conservative, and TEA Party movement type, I have a real hard time with some of this voting record:
- was for a state income tax as a NH State Representative.
- was called a "Cap and Trade Republican" by National Review magazine.
- voted "no" on requiring a photo ID to vote in Federal elections.
- voted to allow minors to be transported across state lines for abortions without the knowledge or consent of their parents.
- voted to continue the moratorium on offshore oil drilling.
- voted to prohibit oil drilling in ANWAR.
- voted "yes" on starting the implementation of the Kyoto Protocol.
- voted yes on [the unconstitutional, we now know] McCain/Feingold "Campaign Finance Reform".
My take? [Charlie Bass says....]
- Let's vote for more revenue instead of less spending
- Let's artificially raise everyone's energy costs for about nil on actual results, and the money raised goes right into the Government coffers - do you REALLY think that this money would be used to lower OTHER taxes?
- We need a photo ID to buy cough syrup, but not to vote? Hey, vote early and often!
- Parents? Who needs parents (except for the aftermath)? Sorry, but to me, abortion is the taking of an innocent life, so this is a two-fer.
- Moratorium and ANWAR - technology is sufficient to take care of the old problems (and see #2 above).
- See #2 again - and raises sovereignty issues.
- Sure, let's restrict the First Amendment and political Free Speech!