Governor Urges Flood Victims To Begin Registering with FEMA

From the Office of Governor John Lynch

CONCORD - Gov. John Lynch today urged victims of the recent floods to begin registering with FEMA to find out if they qualify for individual assistance.

In order to qualify for federal flood assistance, citizens must register with FEMA - even if they have already registered with the Red Cross, or other organizations. FEMA's central office will walk flood victims through the registration process, and then field teams will be dispatched to do follow up work.

New Hampshire residents with flood damage should call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week. The toll-free number will be staffed and operational over the upcoming holiday weekend. Those with speech and hearing impairment may call TTY 1-800-462-7585. You may also register on-line at

"The only way to qualify for FEMA assistance is to register with FEMA, and I encourage New Hampshire citizens who were impacted by the floods to begin the registration process as soon as possible. FEMA's financial assistance can be an important help to our families as they begin to rebuild their lives," Gov. Lynch said.

On Thursday, President Bush granted Gov. Lynch's request for a major disaster declaration making individuals and families in six counties, Belknap, Carroll, Hillsborough, Merrimack, Rockingham and Strafford, eligible for assistance.

"Citizens who suffered flood damage should call FEMA and begin the registration process," Gov. Lynch said. "FEMA's financial assistance can be an important help to people as they begin to rebuild their lives."

When calling or registering online have the following information available:

  • Your current phone number;
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying;
  • Your Social Security number, if available;
  • A general list of damages and losses you suffered;
  • If insured, the name of your company or agent and your policy number;
  • General financial information; and
  • Bank account coding if you wish to speed up your assistance with direct deposit

On Tuesday, Gov. Lynch met with FEMA, New Hampshire nonprofits and state agencies to ensure that efforts to help families are coordinated, and that New Hampshire families will have help going through the FEMA process.

"As a state, we can't eliminate federal requirements, but I am determined that we will work together to do everything possible to help families through the process and help them recover," Gov. Lynch said. "Our nonprofits and state agencies are stepping up to the plate to help make that assistance possible."

Individuals who suffered damage in the floods will be able to get help through the FEMA process at four local flood recovery centers, operated jointly by New Hampshire's community action agencies, the state and FEMA.

Those offices will open up next Friday (June 2) at the following locations: the Community Action Program office for Belknap-Merrimack County at 2 Industrial Park in Concord; Rockingham Community Action Center at 55 Prescott Road in Raymond; Southern NH Services at 40 Pine Street in Manchester; and Strafford County Community Action office at 1 Wakefield Street #306 in Rochester.

Through the disaster declaration, New Hampshire residents are eligible for some:

  • Housing Assistance - aid for lodging expenses, rental assistance mobile homes.
  • Repairs to homes.
  • Replacement of housing - grants toward part of the cost of a new home.
  • Depending on income level, residents may be eligible for assistance with expenses for replacement of personal property, transportation, moving and storage.
  • Low-interest loans through the Small Business Administration.
  • The objective of FEMA assistance programs is to help get disaster victims back on their feet, not to fully restore them to their pre-disaster condition.
  • Additional aid made be available from personal insurance, the National Flood Insurance
  • Program, the American Red Cross or other voluntary disaster relief organizations, or other sources.

In addition, Gov. Lynch also encouraged New Hampshire citizens to support the flood relief efforts to help families recover from losses that may not be covered by FEMA.

The State of New Hampshire Disaster Relief Fund will distribute money to local charities to help flood victims. Checks should be made out to the State of NH, Disaster Relief, and mailed to 25 Capital St., Room 121, Concord, NH 03301.