Rebuilding the Road to the Middle Class
Cedar Rapids , IA – Today, Hillary Clinton laid out a plan to restore America’s middle class. After six and a half years of Bush administration policies, the middle class is struggling to succeed in an economy that is leaving more and more Americans behind.
Income inequality has risen to the highest levels since 1929, and wages have stagnated. In the meantime, health care premiums and college tuitions have skyrocketed, squeezing middle class families who have largely relied on their home equity to make ends meet. The burgeoning problems in the housing market further threaten many middle class families.
Understanding that a vibrant middle class is essential to America’s prosperity, Hillary vowed to implement a broad set of policies to once again restore opportunity for all Americans.
“I believe that middle class is the backbone of our economy, the key to real growth, and the guarantor of the American Dream. America is only as strong as our middle class. And so I judge the health of our economy by asking whether our middle class is expanding and getting ahead. This Administration has failed that test. Mine will not,” Clinton said.
“Today, I propose a new economic blueprint for the twenty-first century economy, a plan to create the new, good jobs essential to broad-based prosperity; to restore fairness to our economy; to renew the basic bargain that if you work hard, you can get ahead; and to put our fiscal house in order again.
“The secret to America’s past economic success is clear: Whenever the economy changed, we changed with it – and mastered it. We innovated. We invested in our people. We managed downturns – and overcame them. We generated wealth – and made sure it was shared.
“We have to change our economic course just as we have to change course in Iraq, and change course when it comes to health care. When it comes to the economy, I believe I have the strength and experience to make that change -- and make our economy work again for our middle class and for all our people.”Hillary’s economic blueprint to restore the American middle class includes:
- Harnessing innovation to create the high-wage jobs of the 21st Century
- Creating a $50 billion Strategic Energy Fund to jumpstart research and development of alternative energies
- Strengthening unions and ensuring our trade laws work for all Americans
- Providing quality, affordable health care to every American
- Making college accessible and affordable
- Confronting the growing problems in the housing market
- Bolstering retirement security by promoting savings and investment
- Returning to fiscal responsibility and moving towards balanced budgets