CONCORD – The Pelosi Twins,U.S. Reps. Paul Hodes and Carol Shea-Porter, have a new addition to the spending family: Frank. At the request of Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, NH’s two Representatives sent taxpayer funded campaign mail to targeted constituents “updating” them on all the great things they are doing in Congress. The glossy full-color mailers, indistinguishable from campaign material, hit homes in both districts last week and appears to have been sent at Speaker Pelosi’s insistence:
“Nearly one year after recapturing control of Congress, House Democratic leaders will embark on a publicity blitz starting in November to combat a dismal 25 percent approval rating….Those leaders expect their members to hold more press conferences and town hall meetings, send out more franked mail and develop better online strategies. Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) is expected to keep tabs on which Democrats are doing their part to play up their record, leadership aides said.” ( Jonathan Kaplan , “Pelosi to launch PR Blitz to beat’08 media frenzy,” The Hill ,October 23, 2007)
New Hampshire Republican Chairman Fergus Cullen raises the following questions for Reps. Hodes and Shea-Porter:
- Who is the vendor that designed and created the mail pieces?
- Does the vendor also do traditional campaign mail?
- If so, do they only do mail for Democrats?
- Since the mail was not sent to everyone (“postal customer”), it was obviously targeted to certain voters. Who was the mail sent to (example: just undeclared voters?), who made the targeting decisions, and what was the targeting criteria?
- Exactly how many pieces were sent?
- Exactly what was the cost to taxpayers?
- How much more taxpayer funded campaign mail will we see from your offices?
“Congressmen Hodes and Shea-Porter are abusing taxpayer dollars to send political propaganda, plain and simple. They said they were going to Washington to clean up the place, but they have quickly adopted the Washington culture as their own,” Cullen said.Fergus Cullen is currently booking appearances on radio this week to discuss the topic thoroughly. Radio, or any other media, wishing to speak with Fergus may do so by email at email@example.com
Chairman, New Hampshire Republican Party
10 Water Street
Concord , NH 03301
Rep Paul Hodes Mailer
Rep Shea-Porter's Mailer