ON DAY THREE OF THE ‘FIGHTING FOR ONE AMERICA’ BUS TOUR, SENATOR JOHN EDWARDS DISCUSSES HIS PLAN FOR A NEW DIRECTION IN TRADE AND ECONOMIC POLICIES TO REWARD WORK AND PUT FAMILIES -- NOT CORPORATIONS -- FIRST
(Manchester, NH) – Today, the Edwards family continued their four-day ‘Fighting for One America’ bus tour across New Hampshire. Senator John Edwards discussed his plan for a new direction in trade and economic policies that put workers and regular families – not corporations – first.
“For too long, corporations and their lobbyists have written our trade and economic policies at the expense of workers,” Senator John Edwards said. “We need to reject these failed policies of the past. It is time to put workers and families first with a trade policy that is as innovative as the American people.
“People across America, and here in the North Country, have been really hurt by unfair trade and economic policies that only reward those at the top,” Edwards continued. “That is why I am fighting to take our country in a new direction: towards one America where every family has a fair shot at the American Dream.”
New Hampshire has been hit hard by unfair trade and economic policies:
· New Hampshire lost 5,500 jobs due to NAFTA.
· More than 127,000 New Hampshire residents are uninsured.
· 73,000 New Hampshire residents live in poverty.
· The number of properties being foreclosed on more than doubled in New Hampshire in the first half of 2007, compared to 2006.
· New Hampshire citizens who go to college graduate with an average of more than $22,000 in debt – the highest level in the nation.
Edwards continues to drive the Democratic agenda with his specific ideas to transform our country. While many Washington politicians continue to offer only rhetoric, empty talk and half-measures, Edwards is offering courage, conviction and bold ideas to build One America.
The final day of the tour will focus on the critical issue of ending the war in Iraq and honoring our veterans.