DHHS Offers Free Course: How to Safely Remove Lead Paint From Your Home

Concord, NH - Are you planning to paint or renovate a home built before 1978? If your answer is yes, make sure you know how to protect children and families from the dangers of lead paint. The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), NH Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program is offering a free, Lead Safe Renovator Course this month.

Lead poisoning is a serious health threat to children, especially children 6 years old and younger. One way people are poisoned is by ingesting the invisible lead dust found in older homes and spread during renovations and remodeling. "In New Hampshire, nearly one of every three children reported with an elevated blood lead level lived in a home that had recently undergone some type of renovations or remodeling," said DHHS Public Health Director Mary Ann Cooney. "By learning how to properly renovate your home using lead-safe methods, you can minimize risks to children and families." Lead poisoning can contribute to serious and irreversible learning disabilities, behavioral problems, kidney damage, and loss of IQ points.

The Lead Safe Renovator course is HUD approved, and provide essential information for professionals and Do-It-Yourself home renovators. The course will be held March 25, 2008 from 8:30 - 4:30, at The Department of Health and Human Services, 29 Hazen Drive in Concord. It is free and open to the public. Pre-registration is required. To register call 800-897-LEAD (5323).

The NH Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program works to reduce the number of NH children with elevated blood lead levels. The program is a part of the Maternal Child Health Section of DHHS. For more information about the program visit the DHHS website: http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/DHHS/CLPPP/default.htm