Prefer to “Do-Nothing” and “Know-Nothing” About Gas Prices
Washington- Despite her constituents’ concern over America’s looming energy crisis, Rep. Carol Shea-Porter (D- NH ) voted to kill an important amendment necessary for determining the national security implications of rapidly escalating energy costs (House Roll Call 502) .
Shea-Porter ignored our national security interests when she sided with her party leaders against this amendment, which would have required a national intelligence assessment focused on the effects of skyrocketing gasoline prices and dependence on foreign energy as it relates to our national security.
The national intelligence assessment that Carol Shea-Porter voted to kill would have included:
- The national security implications of rapidly escalating energy costs;
- The national security implications of continued dependence on international energy supplies;
- The national use of energy resources as leverage against the United States by Venezuela, Iran, or other potential adversaries of the United States as a result of increased energy prices;
- The national security implications of increases in funding to current or potential adversaries of the United States as a result of increased energy prices;
- An assessment of the likelihood that increased energy prices will directly or indirectly increase financial support for terrorist organizations
“ Carol Shea-Porter must believe that if she closes her eyes the national security threat posed by outrageous gas prices and dependence on foreign energy will magically go away,” said NRCC spokesman Ken Spain. “ Shea-Porter's constituents in New Hampshire would appreciate a representative with her eyes open to national security threats and skyrocketing gas prices.”
It seems Carol Shea-Porter has become so used to being a lapdog for party leaders that she doesn’t recognize a commonsense security study when she sees one. The people of New Hampshire deserve a leader, not a blind follower.