Washington, DC – Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter voted for final passage of the American Economic Recovery and Reinvestment Plan. This recovery package, which is expected to be signed into law by President Obama, will help jumpstart our economy, create millions of new jobs, and provide broad tax cuts for working Americans.
“This recovery package will create and protect New Hampshire jobs, build and repair local infrastructure and provide help for New Hampshire families and communities,” said Congresswoman Shea-Porter. “I urge my colleagues in the Senate to swiftly pass this important piece of legislation.”
The American Economic Recovery and Reinvestment Plan will:
- create and save 3 to 4 million jobs;
- give 95% of working Americans an immediate tax cut;
- invest quickly into the economy to get it moving again—75% of the package will be paid out in the first 18 months;
- double our nation’s renewable energy production;
- help rebuild our crumbling roads, bridges, and schools, and bring high speed Internet to every community;
- invest in research and development to secure America’s role as a world leader in a competitive global economy;
- protect vital services like law enforcement, education, health care, and nutrition assistance for families who now find they are struggling to make ends meet, and
- help those who have been hurt the most by the economic crisis by extending unemployment benefits, increasing food stamp benefits, and making it easier for those who lose their jobs to keep their health insurance.
The American Economic Recovery and Reinvestment Plan will benefit New Hampshire in the following ways:
- Highways and Bridges: $137 million
- Clean Water SRF: $58 million
- Head Start: $1.3 million
- Employment and Training: $4.1 million
- Energy Assistance: $7.7 million
- Elderly Nutrition Services: $1 million
This plan provides strong oversight, an historic degree of public transparency, and includes no earmarks. It will also save or create an estimated 22,000 jobs in New Hampshire by the end of 2010.