Dear Fellow Catholic,
I recently wrote you listing some of the horrible abuses that are taking place by organizations funded by the Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD).
If you didn't receive my e-mail, or would like to read it again, it is posted online at http://conservativehq.com/blog_post/show/446.
Some new information has just come to my attention that provides additional examples of the organizations currently funded by CCHD. On its website at http://www.all.org/article.php?id=12345 and http://www.all.org/article.php?id=12307, the American Life League lists:
- Little Village Environmental Justice Organization promotes both homosexual lifestyles and birth control to teens.
- Foces de al Frontera promoted a homosexual campaign for an ally group, Equality Wisconsin, and strongly supports inclusion of federal funding of abortion in the Obamacare Bill.
- The Chicago Workers Collaborative gave a presentation at the Socialism 2009 conference.
- Massachusetts Community Labor United joined a coalition to expand access to condoms.
- Intercommunity Justice and Peace Center lists the Cincinnati chapter of the National Organization for Women (NOW), the International Socialist Organization, and several pro-homosexual groups as "friends and colleagues" on its website.
- Southwest Organizing Project encourages birth control through "comprehensive" sex education.
- LA Community Action Network, which supports homosexual marriage and promotes access to "emergency" contraception.
- San Francisco Organizing Project provides major support for "emergency" contraception for both minors and adults.
And at http://bellarmineveritasministry.org/campaigns/cchd/, the Bellarmine Veritas Ministry lists:
Women's Community Revitalization Project is a coalition partner with WomenVote PA, which is aggressively working for homosexual marriage, "reproductive health care," and "emergency" contraception services.
Grantees working for the passage of the Obamacare Bill include the Tennessee Health Care Campaign, Food AND Medicine, PICO network and its affiliates, Massachusetts Senior Action Council, Gamaliel Foundation and its affiliates, VOICE--Buffalo, Inc., and the Washington Community Action Network.
Some Catholics may have hoped these serious abuses would be corrected so that there would be no scandals to deflect from the other things CCHD is doing to help the poor.
Unfortunately, the CCHD does almost NOTHING to actually benefit the poor . Very little food, shelters, clothing, or medical care is provided to people in need.
Instead, close to all of the grants from CCHD go to groups which engage in "political organizing" for legislative and political purposes.
There really is no "upside" to CCHD. It is at least 99% political.
The CCHD website at http://www.usccb.org/cchd/grants/index.shtml states that it has two grant programs, Community Organizing Grants and Economic Development Grants. Neither one of these grant programs are concerned with providing direct assistance to people who are hungry, homeless, or sick.
If you think the CCHD is guilty of funding just a few leftwing political organizations like ACORN, go to their website at http://www.usccb.org/cchd/grants/2009CCHDGrantees.pdf, and see for yourself.
Almost none of the grantees provide any direct help to people in need of food, shelter, clothing, or medicine. Rather, they are all about power, grassroots organizing, and political influence.
Is this how you thought your contributions to CCHD were being used?
Here are some action steps you can take:
2. FORWARD THIS E-MAIL to friends, family members, co-workers, and all Catholics you know. (Even friends who aren't Catholic can help by forwarding this message to their Catholic friends.)
3. SIGN OUR PETITION at http://conservativehq.com/petitions/. This petition that will be sent to all American cardinals and all other members of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
4. COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR PASTOR and/or BISHOP (through a letter, e-mail, phone call, or personal visit) and tell him that you will not contribute to any cause that's promoted in the names of the bishops until they STOP USING CONTRIBUTIONS TO FUND LEFT-WING POLITICS.
Catholics must let Catholic leaders know our money must not be used to fund leftwing politics.
Richard A. Viguerie
9625 Surveyor Court, Suite 400
Manassas, Virginia 20110