Washington D.C. — Today, Representative Carol Shea-Porter announced that she and 20 of her colleagues have established the Populist Caucus. This caucus is devoted solely to addressing middle class issues. As a founding member of the Populist Caucus, Shea-Porter will fight to:
Create and retain good-paying jobs in America;
· Provide fair wages, proper benefits, and a level playing field at the negotiating table;
· Ensure American workers have secure, solvent retirement plans;
· Cut taxes for the middle class and establish an equitable tax structure;
· Provide affordable, accessible, quality health care for all Americans;
· Ensure quality primary education for all American children and affordable college education for all who want it;
· Defend American competitiveness by fighting for fair trade principles;
· Protect consumers, so that Americans can have faith in the safety and effectiveness of the products they purchase.
“Our country does best with a thriving middle class,” said Congresswoman Shea-Porter. “I am proud to be a founding member of the Populist Caucus and will fight for middle class tax cuts, affordable health care, and fair trade practices.”
Congressional Populist Caucus founding members include: Reps. Bruce Braley (D-IA), Chair; Michael Arcuri (D-NY), Vice-Chair; Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Vice-Chair; Betty Sutton (D-OH), Vice-Chair; Leonard Boswell (D-IA); Steve Cohen (D-TN); Joe Courtney (D-CT); Keith Ellison (D-MN); Bob Filner (D-CA); Phil Hare (D-IL); Mazie Hirono (D-HI); Hank Johnson (D-GA); Steve Kagen (D-WI); David Loebsack (D-IA); Eric Massa (D-NY); Linda Sanchez (D-CA); Jan Schakowsky (D-IL); Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH); Peter Welch (D-VT); and John Yarmuth (D-KY).