Congresswoman Supports Broad Economic Plan for Growth
WASHINGTON, DC – Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter today voted for the House Budget Resolution. This budget provides a broad economic plan that will get our economy working again and addresses our long-term funding issues. Congresswoman Shea-Porter spoke on the floor of the House of Representatives in support of the budget.
“This budget helps middle class families, veterans, students, and seniors,” said Congresswoman Shea-Porter. “Budgets are moral documents stating our nation's priorities and I am pleased that we are finally investing in America.”
The House-passed long term economic plan will:
- cut taxes for middle class families by $1.5 trillion;
- create jobs and grow our economy with targeted investments and reforms in health care, clean energy, and education;
- reduce non-defense discretionary spending to its lowest level in nearly half a century;
- usher in a new era of honesty in budgeting by fully accounting for known expenses like the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that previous administrations left out in order to make the deficit look smaller; and
- put an unprecedented effort into rooting out waste, fraud, and abuse in government spending.
“This budget provides an honest assessment of our nation’s economic outlook and makes responsible investments in health care, education, and energy,” Shea-Porter continued. “In order to put our country back on the path toward economic prosperity, we must make smart, broad investments now.”