CONCORD – Senator Jeanne Shaheen this week announced that after decades of supporting traditional marriage, she has flip-flopped her position and come out in favor of same-sex marriage - only after it became law in New Hampshire. Shaheen joins other Granite State Democrats, including Governor John Lynch, who have caved into pressure from the radical left of their Party, and changed their stance on the issue.
As Governor, Shaheen “condemned” same-sex marriages and clearly stated that she believed that marriage should only “exist between a man and a woman.” She also rejected civil unions, and vocally opposed Vermont’s first in the nation civil union law.
“After having clearly opposed same-sex marriage and civil unions for decades, Jeanne Shaheen is ‘pulling a Lynch’ and caving into pressure from the radical left of her Party. This is another example of how unprincipled, deceitful and dishonest the New Hampshire Democrat Party has become,” said NHGOP Communications Director Ryan Williams. “New Hampshire voters are now beginning to realize that the Democrats are more than willing to say one thing during the election season and then break their word once they are in office.”
Governor Lynch had also opposed same-sex marriage during his campaigns for office before signing legislation on Wednesday that legalized it.
Jeanne Shaheen Has Been A Strong Opponent Of Same-Sex Marriage:
- Jeanne Shaheen “condemned” same-sex marriage: “Gov.JeanneShaheenyesterday condemned homosexualmarriages. ‘I believe that marital unions should exist between men and women,’Shaheentold reporters, when asked how she felt about the civil unions law.” (Union Leader, 4/27/00)
Jeanne Shaheen Opposed Civil Unions:
- Jeanne Shaheen Opposed Vermont’s Civil Unions Law: "I don't support Vermont's law,"Shaheensaid.(Union Leader, 4/27/00)
- Shaheen Reaffirmed Her Opposition To Civil Unions: “Shaheenhad said in April that she did not support the Vermont law and felt thatmarriageshould be reserved for a man and a woman.” (Union Leader, 10/27/00)
This Week, Shaheen Flip-Flopped Her Position On Same-Sex Marriage And Defended Governor Lynch’s Flip-Flop:
- Shaheen Now Supports Same-Sex Marriage: "I congratulate Governor Lynch and the state legislature on advancing a marriage equality bill that also protects religious freedom. New Hampshire has a long history of leadership on issues of civil rights and equality, and I'm proud our state continues to lead the way in ending discrimination with this bill signing today." (Shaheen Press Release, 6/3/09)
Governor Lynch Had Clearly Opposed Same-Sex Marriage Before Legalizing It This Week:
- Governor Lynch Opposed Same-Sex Marriage: “I think the word marriage is reserved for a marriage between a man and a woman.." (Union Leader, 4/16/09)