NBA Hall of Famer, Earvin “Magic” Johnson to be Keynote Speaker for Opening Session
WASHINGTON – The U.S. Small Business Administration and the Department of Commerce’s Minority Business Development Agency will celebrate the achievements of minority entrepreneurs and business leaders during the 27th annual National Minority Enterprise Development (MED) Week conference on Aug. 26-28 in Washington, D.C.
NBA Hall of Famer, Earvin “Magic” Johnson will be the keynote speaker for the opening session of a panel discussion on Aug. 27 to discuss minority entrepreneurship. The conference, under the theme “Energizing the American Economy with Minority Business Enterprises” will focus on helping minority small businesses navigate the current economic climate and tap into the financial resources and contracting opportunities that are available as a result of the President’s American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
The event will also feature two workshops hosted by SBA: “Win Government Contracts for Your Small Business,” conducted by authors John DiGiacomo and James Kleckner on Aug. 26 and “Strategic Alliances for Winning Business,” to educate small businesses on how to develop strategic alliances and successful mentor-protégé relationships with graduates of SBA’s 8(a) Business Development program on Aug. 27.
Small businesses must register to attend these workshops at www.medweek.gov. Registration is free. MED Week 2009 will be held at the Omni Shoreham Hotel, and is co-hosted by the Minority Business Development Agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce and the SBA.
The conference also will feature a MED Week Welcome Reception, a Business Expo and Trade Show, networking breakfasts, a Business-to-Business Linkage forum where small businesses are paired with government agencies and private sector companies to discuss potential contracting opportunities (pre-registration required and invitation only) and several award ceremonies honoring minority entrepreneurs, minority business advocates and leaders in the corporate community, including a MED Week awards gala to close out the week.
The MED Week conference schedule is listed below:
Wednesday, August 25
- 1:00-5:30pm-“Win Government Contracts for Your Small Business” with Authors-JohnDiGiacomo and James Kleckner.
- 6:00-8:00 pm - MED Week Welcome Reception at the Omni Shoreham Hotel.
Thursday, August 27
- 7:30-8:30a.m. – Networking breakfast.
- 8:30-9:00am- A Look Ahead: New Directions from MBDA National Director, DavidHinson.
- 9:00-12p.m. - Opening Session: “Energizing the American Economy with Minority Businesses”
Keynote: Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Chief Executive Officer, Magic Johnson Enterprises. There will be a Panel Discussion following the keynote with panelists Van Jones, Special Advisor for Green Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation White House Council for Environmental Quality; Michael Heintzman, Senior Vice President and General Merchandise Manager of Sam’s Club/Walmart; Joseph James, President of Agri-Tech Producers, LLC; Aubyn Thomas, Senior Vice President, Marketing Service of Corporate Services at Macy’s, Inc. Derek Dingle, Senior Vice President & Editor-in-Chief of Black Enterprise will serve as moderator.
- 12:30-1:45p.m. – State of Commerce luncheon with keynote address by Secretary of Commerce, Gary Locke.
- 2:00-3:30—Financing Solutions for MBE’s in the Current Economic Environment (MBDA Policy Roundtable)
- 2:15-6:00-SBA’s Strategic Alliance and Mentor Protegé workshops.
- 3:30-5:00p.m.—MBDA Summit’s Preliminary Findings for Future MBE Programs
Friday, August 28
- 12:00-2:00p.m.—SBA Administrator’s Luncheon with an award ceremony announcing SBA’s National Minority Small Business Person of the Year, 8(a) Graduate Firm of the Year and the Administrator’s Leadership Award. SBA Administrator Karen Gordon Mills will be the keynote speaker.
- 2:00pm-5:00p.m.—Business Expo.
- 2:00-5:00 pm - Business to Business Linkage to provide networking opportunities for minority entrepreneurs to market their goods and services to government agencies and Fortune 500 companies (pre-registration required and invitation only).
- 7:00-10:00 pm - MED Week 26th Anniversary Awards Gala
WHO: Karen Gordon Mills, Administrator, U.S. Small Business Administration
David Hinson, National Director of MBDA under the Department of Commerce
Gary Locke, Secretary of the Department of Commerce
Joseph Jordan, Associate Administrator of Government Contracting and Business Development, U.S. Small Business Administration
WHEN: August 26-28, 2009
WHERE: Omni Shoreham Hotel
2500 Calvert St., N.W.