NRSC Response To Hodes' Refusal To Return Rangel's Tainted Campaign Cash

According to today’s Union Leader, Democrat Senate hopeful and Congressman Paul Hodes (D-NH) still refuses to return at least $17,000 in donations that he received from embattled Congressman Charlie Rangel’s (D-NY) campaign committee and leadership PAC because he claims the money was given to his House campaign committee, not his Senate account.

Just as a reminder, Hodes already transferred $39,000 to his Senate account from his House account just last year.

In reporting on this story, please consider the following response from the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC):

 “Granite State voters can see through Paul Hodes’ empty excuses and his hypocritical double-speak, and there’s no doubt that they will hold him accountable when they elect a Republican Senator who will fight for accountability and checks-and-balances in Washington.” – Amber Marchand, NRSC Press Secretary

Background Information:

Paul Hodes Transferred $39,000 To His Senate Account From His House Account. "A look behind the numbers for Hodes reveals the actual dollars that he raised were even smaller… there’s the $39,000 Hodes transferred from his House campaign account." (Kevin Landrigan, "Parts Of NH In Danger Of Running Out Of Liquor," The Nashua [NH] Telegraph, 4/19/09)

Hodes Has Accepted At Least $17,000 From Rangel’s Campaign Committee And Leadership PAC:

  • ·         Hodes Accepted $2,000 In September 2006, And Two
  • ·        
  • ·        
  • ·

GOP asks Dems to return Rangel dollars

By Mark Hayward

Union Leader

July 30, 2010

New Hampshire Congressman Paul Hodes called on his embattled Democratic colleague, veteran Congressman Charles Rangel, to step down yesterday, while Republicans insisted Hodes should return campaign contributions from Rangel.

The statements came after House investigators accused Rangel of 13 violations of congressional ethics standards. A New York politician, Rangel has been a congressman for 40 years.

"I was saddened to read the very serious charges made against Congressman Rangel today," Hodes said in a statement distributed to last night. "After reading these very serious charges, I believe that it has come time for him to step down."

The latest news prompted New Hampshire Republicans to reiterate their call for Hodes and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., to return campaign contributions received from Rangel in previous elections.

Hodes, who is running for the Senate seat being vacated by Sen. Judd Gregg, has received $17,000 from Rangel for previous campaigns. Shaheen has received $10,000.

Republican Party spokesman Ryan Williams said Hodes should donate the Rangel money to a New Hampshire charity, as did second-district congressional candidate Katrina Swett.

"The call for resignation is hollow and empty given his refusal to give back that money," Williams said.

But Hodes campaign spokesman Mark Bergman said the money has been spent.

"This money was never given to the Senate campaign," Bergman said. "The money's been spent in previous cycles and was not transferred over (to the Senate account)."

Shaheen spokesman Nell McGarity e-mailed the Union Leader to say the senator's two current campaign committees have never received a contribution from Rangel. She said a 2008 account is closed and no longer exists. The Union Leader received no response to follow-up e-mails.