(WASHINGTON – November 17, 2011) Representative Frank Guinta (R, NH-01) issued the following statement regarding the Veteran and Military Service Members Job Fair he hosted at Manchester Community College on November 10th:
“One week ago today, nearly 300 people showed up for my most recent job fair. Representatives from more than 40 companies talked with many veterans during the four hour event. My office is currently receiving feedback from those employers. So far they report at least two attendees have been hired, at least 15 others have been interviewed, and dozens more interviews are planned soon. It will be several weeks before the final results of this job fair are known; but clearly, last Thursday’s event produced positive results for Granite Staters.”
WHAT EMPLOYERS ARE SAYING:
(Out of respect for the rights and privacy of job applicants and employers, respondents are identified by their field):
- Health care: “Collected 9 applications; interviewed 4 and hired 2.”
- IT/Computer: “20 applications, 2 interviews—more to follow (very successful and impressed with candidates).”
- · Business/financial: “We are still contacting the people we met at the job fair and have started setting up interviews… please let me know if the Congressman schedules another one as we would love to participate.”
- Public sector: “I spent time speaking with approximately 12-14 interested attendees.”
- Health care: “We have had 5 individuals apply and are in the process of reviewing their information… Thank you again for creating this wonderful event.”
WHAT ATTENDEES & VETERANS ARE SAYING:
"I applaud Congressman Guinta’s Veterans and Military Service Members Job Fair in Manchester and his consistent efforts on behalf of New Hampshire’s military community. I attended last Thursday’s job fair in support of this Veteran/Service Member initiative and was impressed by the forty employers who were there to offer substantive career opportunities to the many veterans/service members seeking employment and educational opportunities. With unemployment in the veteran/service member community as high as it is right now, I truly appreciate Congressman Guinta’s personal efforts to help those who served or are currently serving in uniform find civilian jobs."
- Maj. General Joseph K. Simeone (retired), former Deputy Adjutant General, NH National Guard
"As a member in the NH National Guard, I greatly appreciated this job fair that was specifically for military service members and veterans. I obtained many good leads and opportunities and really appreciated this outreach."
-Second Lieutenant Chad Conte, NH Army National Guard
“Our state's veterans and service members have experience, education and training that are of great value to any employer. Veterans are highly trained, motivated, and skilled individuals. I greatly appreciate Congressman Guinta hosting a job fair specifically for them. We should always take care of our veterans who have always been there for us."
-Paul Lloyd, State Commander, NH VFW