Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 07:51AM
- Obama launches gun control effort: President Obama outlined a broad proposal to prevent more mass shootings and attempted to rally public support for the effort. Globe politics reporters Matt Viser and Brian MacQuarrie cover.
- Senator John Kerry's confirmation hearing to serve as US Secretary of State scheduled for next week: The committee is expected to make the official announcement of the confirmation hearing on Thursday. Globe Washington bureau reporter Bryan Bender writes.
- Patrick pushes for income tax hike: Governor Deval Patrick called on legislators to raise the state income tax from 5.25 percent to 6.25 percent while cutting the sales tax from 6.25 percent to 4.5 percent. Globe politics reporter Michael Levenson and State House bureau chief Frank Phillips outline.
- Connolly raises $68,000 in December, denies run for Boston mayor: Councilor at large John R. Connolly raised more than double the haul of any other city official, including Mayor Thomas M. Menino. Globe Metro reporter Andrew Ryan details.
- Walmart's veterans program is temporary relief: Walmart promised to hire 100,000 recent veterans, but its plan won't give them sustained support and training that connect skills learned in the military with economic opportunities. Globe columnist Juliette Kayyem explains.