When Will NHGOP Chair Demand an Investigation into NHGOP Employee David Chesley and Top Staffer for the Romney Campaign in NH?
Concord – New Hampshire Republicans are stooping to a new low in partisan hypocrisy. This morning the NHGOP alleged individuals who while living and working in New Hampshire exercised their constitutional right to vote were committing voter fraud. But that is exactly what multiple Romney campaign staffers and other GOP operatives did last fall. One Republican staffer was even housed by the NHGOP’s current employee and political director.
“How long before Jennifer Horn demands an investigation into her own political director for in her words, ‘aiding and abetting individuals who are undermining New Hampshire law?’” asked New Hampshire Democratic Party Communications Director Harrell Kirstein. “Even for the desperate NHGOP, these false and misleading attacks are a pathetic new low given that their own employee was engaged in the exact same behavior. They should apologize to all the individuals they falsely accused today and to the voters of New Hampshire for their shameful stunt.”
Last fall, Mitt Romney’s top staffer in New Hampshire, Phil Valenziano voted from an address in Manchester. Currently he is the political director for Republican Iowa Governor Terry Barnstead according to his social media page. Another Republican staffer Marian Ward voted from an address in Concord where she was living with the New Hampshire Republican State Committee’s current political Director David Chesley.
Just like other US citizens over the age of 18 who move to New Hampshire for their job, campaign workers have the right to vote where they are living and domiciled on Election Day. In New Hampshire, a US citizen over the age of 18 is eligible to vote where they are domiciled: “that one place where a person, more than any other place, has established a physical presence and manifests an intent to maintain a single continuous presence." [RSA 654:12]
“This pathetic ploy is merely the latest dishonest attack on voting rights and voting laws by New Hampshire Republicans – a mirror of the attacks mounted by the irresponsible Bill O’Brien and Jeb Bradley led legislature that voters rejected last fall,” continued Kirstein. “Republicans think that making it harder for New Hampshire citizens to cast a ballot and attacking those who do will help them during the next election. But in the United States of America the people choose their elected representatives, politicians don’t choose their voters.”
**BACKGOUND ON REPUBLICAN VOTING HYPOCRISY**
Romney Liberty Coalition Director and NHGOP State Senate Campaign Manager Marian Ward Voted in New Hampshire in 2012, Now Lives in Arkansas
· Marian Lynn Ward voted with the mailing address PO BOX 64, Great Falls, VA 22066-0064. She registered at the home of David Chesley at 65 Clinton Street in Concord, NH 03301. [Concord City Clerk’s Voter Checklist]
· Ward was employed both as the NHGOP’s Liberty Outreach Director and as the campaign manager for Phil Greazzo’s state senate campaign. [LinkedIn, accessed 7/24/2013]
· Ward currently lives in Littlerock, Arkansas. [LinkedIn, accessed 7/24/2013]
· Chesley is listed as the NHGOP’s Political Director and Senior Advisor, and listed the Clinton Street address in 2012 on a federal disclosure to the FEC by the Bass campaign. [NHGOP.org, accessed 7/24/2013; FEC.gov]
Romney State Director Voted in New Hampshire in 2012, Now Works for Iowa GOP
· Phil Valenziano voted in New Hampshire last fall after registering at 16 Sagamore St in Manchester, NH 03104.
· Valenziano is now Political Director at The Branstad Committee in Iowa, and served as the Romney campaign’s state director in New Hampshire last fall. [LinkedIn, accessed 7/24//2013]