NHDP - NH Residents and Officials Decry Cuts to Substance Misuse Treatment

From Manchester to North Conway, Residents and Officials Decry Cuts to Substance Misuse Treatment, Programs for Disabled and Seniors
Concord, N.H. – As details of House Republicans’ draconian budget cuts continue to emerge, residents and elected officials from Manchester to North Conway decried cuts to substance misuse treatment and programs for the disabled and seniors.
“It’s clear that members of both parties from every corner of the state are outraged by House Republicans’ irresponsible budget cuts,” said New Hampshire Democratic Party Chair Ray Buckley. “Granite Staters are speaking out against these reckless budget cuts because they understand the devastating effects they would have on local communities, from cutting funds for substance misuse treatment to slashing services for some of our most vulnerable seniors.”
The front page of today’s Union Leader reported Manchester “officials are raising concerns about proposed cuts in the state budget that could impact efforts to combat drug abuse in the city… Among the changes that have received preliminary approval from the committee are level funding the Governor’s Commission on Alcohol and Substance Abuse at about $3.6 million, rather than tripling funding as Gov. Maggie Hassan called for in her proposed budget. The committee also backed eliminating funding for a substance abuse benefit in the standard Medicaid program.”
The Union Leader added, “At the aldermen’s meeting on Tuesday, Mayor Ted Gatsas said elected leaders at all levels needed to know the seriousness of the drug problem facing the city.” 
The Conway Daily Sun reported, "Members of the New Hampshire House Finance Committee heard last week from a range of Carroll County constituents" who "[decried] cuts to disabled, senior programs.”
The article highlighted that late last week, “Gibson Center Executive Director George Cleveland learned that his organization could face a 50 percent cut to its meals on wheels and congregate meals programs. Cleveland called such a cut ‘catastrophic’ and said it would force a ‘very serious’ restructuring at the North Conway senior center. ‘I don't know what the hell they are thinking,’ Cleveland said of the finance committee.”
The Conway Daily Sun also included comments from Memorial Hospital President and CEO Scott McKinnon on the importance of continuing Medicaid expansion: “’We're seeing a 17 percent reduction of uninsured patients in our emergency departments,’ he said, adding that people can now get access to preventative, wellness and primary care as opposed to waiting until their condition worsens. ‘I think that's a tremendous result.’”