As we celebrate our Mothers today – whether they’re still with us or not – it’s important to note our commitment to support mothers of all kinds. Here in New Hampshire, Democrats continue to support working mothers and work to strengthen middle class families. We’d like to celebrate Gov. Maggie Hassan, Sen. Jeanne Shaheen and Rep. Annie Kuster for their leadership supporting working families, as well as being incredible mothers themselves. Happy Mother’s Day!
As we look ahead to 2016, Democrats are committed to fighting for mothers while the GOP makes it clear they are wrong on equal pay and a minimum wage increase – that will help mothers and their children get ahead.
Equal Pay for Women
- Jeb Bush stated that he did not know what the Paycheck Fairness Act was when asked about it.
- Marco Rubio said the Paycheck Fairness Act was about “scoring political points,” “wasting time,” and a “show vote.”
- Scott Walker repealed an equal pay law saying it was a “bogus issue.”
- Rand Paul compared the Paycheck Fairness Act to the Soviet Politburo.
- Chris Christie vetoed equal pay legislation calling it “senseless bureaucracy.”
- Ted Cruz voted against the Paycheck Fairness Act and derided it as a “show vote.”
Raising the Minimum Wage
- Jeb Bush said “we need to leave it to the private sector… This is one of those poll-driven deals… I’m sure it’s a great soundbite.”
- Marco Rubio opposes raising the minimum wage, calling it “silly” and “a waste of time.”
- Scott Walker said he “doesn’t think it serves a purpose.”
- Rand Paul opposes increasing the minimum wage for working people.
- Chris Christie: “I'm tired of hearing about the minimum wage. I really am.”
- Ted Cruz opposes raising the minimum wage.