Barack Obama believes that America hasn’t been keeping its sacred trust with our service men and women and our veterans. We haven’t been giving our troops the support they need when they’re fighting overseas or when they return home. And we aren’t keeping faith with our veterans after they transition to civilian life. Barack Obama has been a leader on veterans’ issues in the U.S.Senate, and the plan he outlined today for our veterans includes a reformed 21st-century Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) that provides vets with reliable, accessible services and maintains zero tolerance for vets falling into homelessness.
Obama’s comprehensive plan to support our troops and veterans includes:
- Deploying troops on predictable rotations and at an appropriate state of readiness.
- Improving mental health screening and treatment at all levels, from enlistment, to deployment, to reentry into civilian life.
- Building a 21st-century VA to serve our veterans and fully fund the VA medical center.
- Ensuring that veterans receive the very best health care without having to travel long distances or get on long waiting lists.
- Establishing a world-class Actuary and Planning Division at the VA to work with the Pentagon to anticipate the needs of the 21st century’s veterans.
- Enforcing zero tolerance for veterans falling into homelessness.
“We enter into a sacred trustwith our veterans from the moment they put on that uniform”, said Obama. “That trust is simple – America will be there for them just as they have been there for America. As a candidate for the presidency, I know that I am running to become Commander-in-Chief – to safeguard this nation’s security, and to keep that sacred trust. There is no responsibility that I take more seriously”
Senator Barack Obama is scheduled to deliver the following remarks on “A Sacred Trust” today at the Veterans of Foreign Wars 108th National Convention at the Kansas City Convention Center in Kansas City, Missouri. The accompanying fact sheet can be viewed here