Click here for full Union Leader article or see excerpt below:
The budget plan approved by the House Finance Committee this week could result in a nearly $4 million reduction in state aid for the city school district.
The cuts, which would go into effect in the second year of the biennial budget, beginning July 1, 2016, are based on declining enrollment in Manchester relative to other communities and a $46 million statewide cut in stabilization grants.
The proposal is part of a slew of cuts, totaling $340 million, that the Republican-controlled House committee voted to make this week to the budget proposed Gov. Maggie Hassan. The budget plan is slated to be voted on by the House of Representatives next week.
The proposed reduction in state aid comes the same week that Manchester school officials presented a grim budget picture for the coming fiscal year.
… Mayor Ted Gatsas, a Republican and former state senator, said he was concerned about the possibility of cuts to education aid, but he noted that it was early in the process.
… Last week, the Board of Mayor and Aldermen voted to send a letter to the Finance Committee decrying proposed cuts to substance abuse treatment and prevention programs.
Democratic State Rep. Bob Walsh, the only member of the Manchester delegation on the Finance Committee, said the cuts would fall heavily on the city.
“I’ve voted for the people but I’m one vote out of 26,” he said. “We have medical services and mental health services, and they’re being cut ferociously. Some towns don’t have these facilities, so we’re bearing the brunt.”
Gov. Hassan, a Democrat, has urged her supporters to speak out against the proposed cuts.