Let's play a game! I'm going to give a series of quotes and you have to guess if the statements were made by Democrats or Republicans.
1) "We're not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that's fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you've made enough money. But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you're providing a good product or providing good service. We don’t want people to stop, ah, fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow our economy."
2) "I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody."
3) "We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK,"
4) "The great task before our founders was putting into practice the ideal that government could simultaneously serve liberty and advance the common good. and Government, he believed, had an important role to play in advancing our common prosperity."
5) "Well, Charlie, what I’ve said is that I would look at raising the capital gains tax for purposes of fairness."
6) "If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made it that happen.”
7) "Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea? God bless. Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along."
8) "This is nobody in this country who got rich on his own."
9) "The truth is, in order to get things like universal health care and a revamped education system, then someone is going to have to give up a piece of their pie so that someone else can have more."
10) "What I do is I'm going to try to reorganize the health () to be more willing to treat sick people, but it means above all you young people, especially you young people in good health … you have to pay more. And by the way, we will have, if you're too old, not going to give you everything that technology and all these drugs during the past two years of your life and maybe go to another couple months. It is very expensive … then we will let you die."
11) "I see no magic in tax dollars which are sent to Washington and then returned."
12) "The final and best means of strengthening demand among consumers and business is to reduce the burden on private income and the deterrence to private initiative which are imposed by our present tax system, and this administration pledged itself last summer to an across-the-board, top-to-bottom cut in personal and corporate income taxes..."
13) "It is increasingly clear that no matter what party is in power, so long as our national security needs keep rising, an economy hampered by restrictive tax rates will never produce enough jobs or enough profits."
14) "Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
15) "A man does what he must.. in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers, and pressures.. and that is the basis of all human morality."
Have you taken guesses yet? If you want to go for the bonus write down who you think said each one before continuing.
Ready for the answers? Sorry to say this but it's a trick quiz, all these quotes were stated by Democrats.
1 through 6 were all President Obama quotes
7 and 8 were both Elizebth Warren
9 was Michelle Obama
10 was Robert Reich Secretary of Labor for the Clinton Administration
11 through 15 by today's standards all sound like comments a Republican would have made but they were all made by J. F. Kennedy. Kind of makes you wonder what his thoughts would be about Obama and the current Democratic party.